Sunday, March 23, 2014

Global project

Been trying to facetime with my global project partner in Switzerland and it's not that easy! With the 6 hour time change, trying to line up our schedules has been challenging so we are going to try again tomorrow. We already have once but have been trying to again. Most of our communication has been through e-mail but I must say it is eye-opening learning about their lifestyle verses ours. Although I am well traveled and fairly knowledgeable about the differences in cultures, it is very fascinating to hear it in her terms. Johnanna is an english teacher in a very small school near Zurich, Switzerland. Her mother is my husbands fathers cousin. We have met on several Hodgson family reunions and became quite close on one of them when we went on a cruise to the Bahamas. Neither of us have children and most of the rest of the family had small kids so it was nice to having someone to hang out with when we did girl things like go to the spa or get our nails done. So, it has been really nice having this oppurtunity to connect with her again and find out more about her way of life. Her school has only 250 students from ages 12-16! Our high school is closer to 2,400 and another 1,200 in the middle school! I can't imagine such a small community. OH- and I asked her if they had sports and music in school or if it was done in the community. She didn't understand what I meant by community, which I think was really cute. Turns out they do have some offerings but not nearly on the level that we have in a large public Amercian school. I'm not sure I would have a job in Switzerland, which is sad because I wouldn't mind living there one day!

ZURICH, SWITZERLAND

No comments:

Post a Comment